Nashville is booming! The Business Journal has even created a website, called CraneWatch to show all the development taking place.
But poverty went up 2 points last year! We are now at 19.9% poverty. That means 1 out of every 5 people in Nashville is in poverty! That's about 130,000 people!
NOAH's Economic Equity and Jobs Task Force wants to see EVERYONE benefit from Nashville's growth!
- We worked with one of our member unions (LIUNA) to get the "Local Hire" amendment passed -- and helped write new regulations for this.
- Even though the state legislature then outlawed local hire statewide, we worked with Mayor Barry, contractors, and unions to come up with the Nashville Construction Readiness Partnership to train unemployed and underemployed local residents and get them hired in construction. See NOAH at the Mayor's Press Conference about this workforce development system! (At 13:23 on this video.)
- But we have to make sure this system works!!
ON OUR AGENDA AT THIS MEETING:
1. Report on the Workforce Development System
a) What do we still need to know -- and who should we talk to?
2. Linking to Unemployed and Underemployed People
a) Through NOAH's congregations, unions, and groups
b) Through canvassing specific neighborhoods
3. Update on Transparency Legislation
a) When the city gives tax breaks or incentives to businesses, we need to know what they are being given and what they give back to the city in decent jobs.
4. Other items
a) How does poor transportation fit into the need for better jobs? What is MTA doing to get workers to jobs?
b) Other points you raise